Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ishikawa gets the message



Ishikawa gets the messageJohn Shea, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More...
(05-25) 21:03 PDT -- Was it curious that Travis Ishikawa and Jonathon Sanchez did in the Braves on Monday shortly after general manager Brian Sabean's state-of-the-lack-of-power address?

Or were they simply due?

Ishikawa's first four-hit game and Sanchez's first win since April 17 highlighted the Giants' 8-2 victory, only the second time this season they won by as many as six runs. The game was witnessed by a Memorial Day crowd of 40,034, including some scouts possibly checking out Sanchez.

Two days earlier, Sabean said he's actively trying to trade for a hitter, and it would be no surprise if he's dangling the lefty. Sabean also said Jesus Guzman could get more at-bats at first base to push Ishikawa. Topping it off, manager Bruce Bochy said Pablo Sandoval could play first when he returns to the lineup, an easier transition for his ailing elbow.

So, yeah, Ishikawa needed to improve his .219 batting average. Thanks to his 4-for-4, including his first homer of the year, he's hitting .250.

"You kind of hear things," Ishikawa said. "You can't control what they decide to do. ... I guess to an extent, I've got to continue to show them I deserve that spot."

Bochy had his doubts, initially planning for Guzman to play first base Monday. But two hours before the first pitch, Bochy changed his mind and went with Ishikawa, saying, "I just made the flip. I wish I had a great reason to give you."

Ishikawa's first hit was a gift - his pop-up falling after third baseman Martin Prado and pitcher Javier Vazquez collided - and might have boosted his confidence. His three-run homer came in his 100th at-bat off Buddy Carlyle in the seventh inning.

In spring training, he won the job with a team-high seven homers in 86 at-bats. Ever since then, he has been trying to return to his March mind-set.

"In spring training, I felt a lot more relaxed," Ishikawa said. "I was aggressive but not really thinking about anything. My biggest trouble comes when I work so hard trying to figure out what the pitchers will throw. I start to lock myself up and get late on pitches. Then my mechanics start to go awry. I take that thought process into the at-bat. Completely different from spring training."

No comments: