Sunday, March 29, 2009

POSTGAME NOTES: Ishikawa’s glove by Extra Baggs

POSTGAME NOTES: Ishikawa’s glove, Bowker in review, etc.

–Ishikawa has the potential to be among the top defensive first basemen in the league. He made the best play I’ve seen all spring, making a full-extension dive to take a hit away from Mike Lamb. He also made a nice stretch to complete a double play.

“If you see me doing the full splits, I’m in trouble,” Ishikawa said. “I’m probably not getting back up.”

There’s a lot of concern from the general populace about Ishikawa at first base, but the Giants could do much worse than have a solid glove man there who hits for occasional power and gets on base in the lower half of the order. That pretty much described J.T. Snow, didn’t it? And that guy played on a lot of winning teams. Of course, Ishikawa doesn’t have the cast that played with Snow, notably that Bonds fellow.

Asked if he’d be satisfied to have a career like Snow’s, Ishikawa responded immediately: “Oh, absolutely. If I could get a 10-year career in the big leagues like his? You wouldn’t hear me complaining.”

No comments: